Friday, March 21, 2014

Iron-ic

1974
My mom was not the most typical domestic figure when I was growing up. She was an early adapter of the microwave, box cake mixes, and anything else that saved time. She had her own toolbox, which my dad was supposed to leave alone (also, her own bank account). There were, however, a few of the old ways that she clung to steadfastly that I just didn't understand. Chief among them: ironing.
When my oldest child was born, in 2001, I put our rarely used iron away mostly because I feared horrible accidents, but also because I didn't think wrinkles were a big deal. Ian's shirts were either wrinkle-free or pressed at the cleaners, and I could have stayed in my pajamas all day, considering how far I was from the working world and the fact that in the early days of all three kids everything I wore was either vomited on or wiped on by tiny, adorable little hands and faces.
What changed was that I took up sewing and got a better iron that really shoots steam. Pressing is essential when you're making garments. It causes the stitches to sink into the fabric, coaxes out puckers, can sometimes eliminate the need for pinning, etc. I realized I had really gone over to the other side, though, when I started asking my kids to hand over the clothes they'd already put on so that I could iron them before they went out the door. I thought my mom was crazy when she did that to me in high school, and now I have my very own teenage daughter to roll her eyes at me when I ask. Check out these before-and after photos, though, and perhaps you'll see what an improvement forced flattening can be.
Which leg do you prefer?

Could be better.

Nicer.


Look at the button band and pocket!
Flat!

No comments: